Re: math/py-scikit-learn with OPENMP, at least on Linux?

On 5/24/21 8:18 AM, Jason Bacon wrote:
On 5/24/21 4:51 AM, nia wrote:
I would like to know where OpenMP is actually problematic before
things are restricted to just Linux. The check may be wrong.

I've never knowingly ran OpenMP code, but I recall compiling things
that used it on NetBSD without problems.

Is it just problematic with older compilers?

Even the latest Xcode annoyingly doesn't provide OpenMP even though clang support has existed for years.

It's not a problem for CentOS 7, which probably has the oldest tool chain of any supported Linux system.

I'll play with it on Darwin when I get a chance.

So parallel/openmp is not a solution for Darwin's crippled tool chain, since it requires pkgsrc llvm 10. Xcode on Big Sur provides llvm 12.

Mac users will need to install OpenMP another way in order to use it with the native compiler for now.

I'm sure we could rig parallel/openmp to work with a native clang, but that's not a priority for me at the moment.