Re: Boost

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 01:38:17PM +0200, Dr. Thomas Orgis wrote:
> > Most others seem to have had the same idea:
> >
> > https://repology.org/project/boost/versions
>
> Could you elaborate on that? This does not seem apparent to me. In the
> case of Ubuntu 20.04, there indeed is a set of packages for Boost 1.67
> in addition to the default 1.71, but they do conflict with each other.
> They are _not_ versioned to be installed at the same time.
>
> The 1.67 packages live in the universe, not in the core package set.
>
> The versioned shared libraries can be installed alongside each other,
> but the development packages with static libs and headers do not. This
> is a hack for supporting old binary packages, or the case I outlined
> above of having a special version of boost libs for select packages
> that cannot be fixed to build with the default version.

I mainly care about having working binary packages, actually.
I want our users not to think that packages disappearing is the norm.

The Debian sitation works for them. While building, they only need
to have one -dev package installed, then the resulting binary package
won't conflict with any other version of boost.

Since pkgsrc always installs unversioned .so links, we need to actively
avoid conflicts.