Re: rust problems on the branch: NetBSD 9/i386 is troubled

On Mon, 31 Aug 2020 19:53:21 -0400
Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:

> On a netbsd-9 i386 system, building rust (source) loses with:
>
>   running: /usr/ANONCVS/pkgsrc/lang/rust/work/rust-bootstrap/bin/cargo build --manifest-path /usr/ANONCVS/pkgsrc/lang/rust/work/rustc-1.45.2-src/src/bootstrap/Cargo.toml --frozen
>   /usr/ANONCVS/pkgsrc/lang/rust/work/rust-bootstrap/bin/cargo: Shared object "libssl.so.1.1" not found
>
> and the issue appears to be a bootstrap kit built for 8, with pkgsrc
> ssl, on a 9 host, without pkgsrc ssl.
>
> It seems that perhaps having a different bootstrap for 9/current is in
> order.  Can someone who deals with rust fix things on 9/i386, or suggest
> what else wes hould do?

We could just stop using the upstream binaries which evidently give
us more headaches than benefits on all platforms.
Yes, it's nice and all that they support NetBSD, but pkgsrc is not
NetBSD. It is not worth bending over backwards to fix issues like
this when we could just rebuild the bootstrap either statically linked
or separate tgz's for -8, -9 and current.
I could set up the automation for this but I'm not really interested as
long as there is pushback from the camp who prefer we use the upstream
binaries.