Re: mozilla-rootcerts-openssl removes ${PREFIX}/etc/openssl/certs on uninstall

Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%bec.de@localhost> writes:

> On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 12:56:26PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> In a thread ok pkgsrc-changes resulting from my editing DESCR, jperkin@
>> pointed out that
>>
>>   pkg_delete mozilla-rootcerts-openssl
>>
>> led to removal of the etc/openssl/certs directory.  This surprised me,
>> as that directory belongs to the openssl package, not the
>> mozilla-rootcerts-openssl package.  Sure enough, when I pkg_delete the
>> certs directory is removed.
>>
>> I can't figure out why; there is no deinstallation script in the
>> package, and the certs dir is not in the PLIST.
>>
>> So is there something wrong with the package, a bug in pkg_delete, or
>> something else?  Any clues appreciated.
>
> mozilla-rootcerts-openssl puts files into it, pkg_delete auto-removes
> the non-registered parent directory like it has been doing for ages.

Thanks for explaining.

Is auto-removal of the non-registered parent directory a workaround for
packages that make directories and do not declare them in PLIST?  It
seems like if there is an empty directory already, and a package
installs a file in it and then the package is uninstalled, that
directory should not be removed.

Or is there some other reason why removing directories is the right
thing to do?