Re: Concensus on PKGSRC_FORTRAN?=gfortran?

On 2020-03-25 15:56, John Klos wrote:
Hi,

Should we consider making PKGSRC_FORTRAN?=gfortran the default for bulk builds? Why or why not?

John
I do so for all my builds on CentOS, Darwin, and NetBSD.

g95 is essentially useless for high performance computing at this point.  The machine code it produces is far slower than a modern gfortran as it doesn't know about current instruction sets and the optimizer is ancient.

I think the only thing to watch out for is people using platforms where the gcc packages don't build, but some of their builds require Fortran.  As long as g95 is still available, we'd only be forcing them to override a default, though, not taking away their ability to function.

    JB