Re: gcc8 on CentOS 7

On 2020-03-13 06:26, Dr. Thomas Orgis wrote:
Am Fri, 13 Mar 2020 10:32:54 +0000
schrieb<maya%NetBSD.org@localhost>:

In my experience with CentOS, I have found a lot of these issues to be
related to SSP/fortify.
+1

While I build my GCC externally to pkgsrc, I found that I need

PKGSRC_USE_FORTIFY = no

to un-break things. In my case, I had trouble with vim. With that
setting, gcc-8.3.0 is working with pkgsrc-2019Q1 without user
complaints for a year now, on CentOS 7.

Alrighty then,

Thomas

Indeed...  PKGSRC_USE_FORTIFY=no seems to get around the issue.

So the only remaining show-stopper for RHEL/CentOS that requires a patch is the inability to find pkgsrc zlib, which we can work around by not using --with-system-zlib.

Would be nice to find clean solutions to both these issues.  It can wait until next quarter as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks,

    JB