Re: EXTRACT_USING improvements: a concrete proposal

Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%bec.de@localhost> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 04:16:34PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> Do you see any problem with the
>>
>>   if a platform's tar is (generally) not good enough, set EXTRACT_USING
>>   to bsdtar for that platform
>>
>> approach?
>
> I'd take the reverse approach: unless we know for sure that there will
> be either gtar or bsdtar available, explicitly pick the latter as
> default.

I think I failed to read your mind well enough.

Did you mean

  let's change extract/extract.mk to make bsdtar the overall default

  as each platform decides that it has something adequate, it can set a
  default in platform/Foo.mk

?

If so, that sounds ok, but it also seems that we shouldn't be in the
middle of that two-step process for a branch.

Right now, as I see it, NetBSD is in better shape than it was a week
ago, and everything else is the same.