Re: Math/udunits update

Am Fri, 6 Mar 2020 16:57:01 -0700
schrieb Brook Milligan <brook%nmsu.edu@localhost>:

> From what I understand, the current version of udunits2 installs
> udunits1 headers and includes relevant stuff in libudunits2.  Thus,
> it seems that other than the Fortran API, which is not in udunits2,
> and a disagreement about the interpretation of “g”, everything is in
> udunits2.

Disagreement about g, what a wonderful thing. I wonder what nice mess
this can make in some scienfic results.

> Are you finding this not to be the case?  Do we really need two
> versions?

Coming from a scientific background (meaning: lots of software being
used in various stages of being current or abandoned, with reliance of
it producing the same results as many years ago), I am cautionous about
subtle changes in functionality. I'd have urged the udunits people to
either provide completely (bug-compatible, regarding g) compatible
functionality with the udunits 1 header or have the two versions
installable at the same time.

But I don't recall me having to install software that needs udunits1.
So, I cannot share any experience. If pkgsrc switches to v2 only and I
encounter something that needs v1, I'll install that outside pkgsrc.

Alrighty then,

Thomas

--
Dr. Thomas Orgis