Re: gcc9 ready for prime-time?

On 2020-03-02 03:10, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
* On 2020-03-02 at 05:58 GMT, Jason Bacon wrote:

I was just experimenting with adding support for gcc9 to auto-pkgsrc-setup
and discovered that it's not yet supported by GCC_REQD.

I.e. it's not fully coded into gcc.mk yet:
For some reason the gcc9 maintainer has decided to take it in a
different direction than all the other gcc packages, so there's no
gcc-libs support and thus no USE_PKGSRC_GCC_RUNTIME support.

This and the removal of many important patches makes it useless for
our (Joyent) requirements so we will be implementing our own fork.

Perhaps we can have a discussion about the reasoning behind the design change and how to make it work.

Currently GCC_REQD=9.0 is simply not functional:

Linux ramora.uits  bacon /data/bacon/Pkgsrc/pkgsrc/biology/plink 1004: bmake
ERROR: This package has set PKG_FAIL_REASON:
ERROR: Unable to satisfy dependency: gcc8>=9.0
*** Error code 1