Re: Licensing question: content deemed to have entered the public domain?

On Mon, 2020-01-13 at 21:06 -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> And a genuine question:
>
>   Assume a work first fixed in a tangible medium in the US, long ago,
>   such that the author died 80 years ago.  Is there a notion that this
>   copyright can be enforced against those copying that work in Mexico
>   today, by the US (former) copyright holder?  Or is it only possible to
>   enforce in Mexcio for works created (fixed in a tangible medium :) in
>   Mexico in the first place (w.l.o.g.)?

Publishers and other rights holders will enforce copyrights under the
terms of each country, as possible. One example (which I'm summarizing
from Wikipedia) is that in 2017, Sergei Prokofiev's heirs went after
IMSLP for making his works available for download in countries where
copyright is still applicable to them. (While I don't know the exact
years in question in that example, he could have created those works in
Imperial Russia, the Soviet Union, the United States, France, perhaps
elsewhere.) This is well outside my usual wheelhouse, so I only have a
passing familiarity with it.

Dave