Re: py-gobject3, meson, and python versioning

On Sun, Sep 29, 2019 at 12:58:03PM +0000, nia wrote:
> I should add that something needs to be done right now. This is causing
> scan failures and means a number of important packages (e.g. mate) can't
> build.
>
> On Sun, Sep 29, 2019 at 10:41:36AM +0000, nia wrote:
> > The latest py-gobject3 update broke the py27 version and a bunch of
> > dependent packages. This is because it now needs meson and pkgsrc can't
> > invoke meson when python2 is in use by the package - it's python3 only.
> >
> > Non-pkgsrc projects can still successfully build the py27 version of
> > py-gobject3 by invoking a python3-using meson with
> > -Dpython=${PREFIX}/bin/python2.
> >
> > This seems like a problem with how meson is used in pkgsrc. It should
> > be treated like a tool rather than a normal python module, probably
> > not be version prefixed, and not set PYTHON_VERSIONS_INCOMPATIBLE for
> > packages using it.
> >
> > Basically, meson's use of python3 shouldn't be affecting packages using
> > it as a build system.
> >
> > Alternatively: we keep the pre-meson py-gobject3, or we delete all the
> > Python 2 packages using py-gobject3.

Let's revert the two broken commits for the pkgsrc freeze (nothing too
critical in the updates, and it buys us time).

As I understand, that's:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-changes/2019/09/26/msg198046.html
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-changes/2019/09/22/msg197947.html

Also pinging prlw1 in case that helps.