Re: UTF-8 cleanliness

On Tue, 17 Sep 2019 15:30:03 +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> You are talking about filenames, I am pretty sure the original question was
> about what is in the files.
>
> For pkgsrc filenames I agree - ascii should be enough. For content, I don't
> see why we would support anything but UTF8 (and that only in certain fields,
> so the original question IMHO was a very interesting one).

I find the vast majority of gremlins in files are on the level of
special dashes or quotes. And many of the tools I use still appear to
have difficulties rendering funny characters - not only on NetBSD, but
also on Linux CLI.

IFF "UTF8 only" leads to everybody delivering 99% perfect support for
it, that sounds like a worthy goal, but until then I would prefer "if
it can be rendered in 7 bit ascii, it should".

My 0.02 EUR,
hauke

()     No HTML/RTF in email            Institut für Nachrichtentechnik
     Respect for open standards              Ruf +49-6151-16-21344