Re: Adding kerTeX; but needs avoiding configure etc.

On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 09:45:17AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> People have (entirely reasonable) opinions about the pkgsrc way
> (everything unfied under one set of tools, rather than N things that
> each have their own packaging systems), but we don't have a rule against
> adding packages for things that behave like kerTex does, assuming it
> manages its own flavor of packages someplace in the fs hierarchy that
> doesn't conflict with how pkgsrc works.
>
> That really amounts to all the files not controlled by pkgsrc being in
> some small number of directories that are owned/named somehow by the
> kerTeX package.  Putting extra things in /usr/pkg/bin wouldn't be ok,
> but putting them under /usr/pkg/lib/kerTeX/ would be ok.  Does that seem
> plausible?

This is what kerTeX does: everything is under "its" directories. kerTeX
is (example here for a not customized, not unprivileged, NetBSD
installation; this is configurable; if someone wants them to be put
elsewhere, in some /usr/local/ etc., it can be done):

- one sh(1) script in /usr/pkg/bin: which_kertex(1) that can print or
set the environment to find its stuff;

- two directories:
	/usr/pkg/bin/kertex/ for MD stuff (binaries including dumps);
	/usr/pkg/share/kertex/ for MI stuff (all the fonts, macros etc.);

and that's all. It even doesn't conflict with any other TeX installation
(one can install kerTeX along with TeXLive or whatever).

Removing kerTeX (and all its packages) is just removing this file and
these two directories.

> You also hinted at creating pkgsrc binary packages and registration for
> these not-really-packges.  That is likely to be at best controversial.

I didn't want to. I was just proposing it if someone suggested to have
a centralized database about everything installed. I'm not for it
either. Let kerTeX handle its things.

                     http://www.kergis.com/
                       http://www.sbfa.fr/