Re: Adding kerTeX; but needs avoiding configure etc.

On Sat, Aug 24, 2019 at 08:30:07AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> tlaronde%polynum.com@localhost writes:
>
> > KerTeX uses my own building framework: R.I.S.K. doing all including lib
> > dance and being designed natively with cross-compilation in mind.
> >
> > I hence have to add two things:
> >
> > - R.I.S.K. related mk files
> > - and kerTeX using the previous files (that is kerTeX_M for compilation
> > tools on the Matrix and kerTeX_T for compilation for the Target).
> >
> > How can one add a framework to mk machinery and, before all, avoid like
> > the plague any autoconf/config/automake/libtool intervention?
>
> Hard to say without digging in, but pkgsrc does not require autotools.
> It merely has support for running them, and has support for running
> various other things.
>
> Support for a build system can be:
>
>   in files under mk/, such that you don't need to .include anything, and
>   you just set variables.  We do this for autoconf, and maybe cmake.

That's my problem: this does mean it is here by default? But I guess
there must be some variables to set in order to not do anything autoconf
or cmake related and to not even try?

>   in a file under mk/, where you have to .include it
>
>   in a package, so you ".include ../../devel/RISK/risk.mk" and then set
>   variables, in packages that are built using the framework, after
>   having installed devel/RISK to put whatever scripts/host tools are
>   needed in place (more or less, without reading)
>
> Given that this system appears to be used only in kerTeX, I'd suggest
> thethird option.

That's my intention. Since R.I.S.K. has been used by kerTeX since I'm
its developer but only as a side effect. I didn't plan to release
R.I.S.K. by itself.

>   BTW, since there is a TeXlive discussion going on, kerTeX solves
>   the problem at a different level: kerTeX is a hosted system; TeX
>   related packages are its problem not the problem of the host. There
>   is a packaging system for kerTeX allowing to add LaTeX and etc. to
>   the core, "kernel" system (hence the name with a word play between
>   ker(nel) and "care"). So there is only one (in fact two for
>   cross-compilation) package for TeX the additions being handled by the
>   TeX hosted system.
>
> This is not the pkgsrc way [...]

The kerTeX packages are installed in the kerTeX "realm" (its
subdirectories) so removing the kerTeX subdirs remove what has been
added. They do not go as "standalone" ones in /usr/pkg/bin and so on so
they do not pollute the system. (and kerTeX can live on its own without
interfering with a TeXlive installation; everything is orthogonal)

> You should feel entirely free to start in pkgsrc-wip, where it's ok to
> add packages that don't work, break norms, etc., without any review.   I
> tend to do that myself until I get something working.

That is my intention. Once I get it working on NetBSD, I will add the
tentative package under pkgsrc-wip for others to test this alternate way
to install.

Thanks,
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                       http://www.sbfa.fr/