Re: uploading distfiles

On 22/08/19 2:30 pm, Brook Milligan wrote:
> Does anyone have a clear understanding of why this particular set of packages is like this?  Yes, they are mostly (always?) unversioned, but we handle that by using DIST_SUBDIR for them all, and presumably the checksum failure and the failover to another repository will catch all the changes with the minor cost of some extra fetch requests across the network.  That is not so very uncommon though for lots of other packages.

I didn't instigate this behaviour, but I would suggest that it is more
than just a minor cost of extra fetches.  There are currently
>2000 tex packages in pkgsrc.  The average lifetime that any of them
would be accessible directly from CTAN is 6 months, after which you will
get the download, checksum failure, download again effect.

This is because texlive rebuild all the tarballs each year - even if the
underlying packages don't change.

cheers
mark