Re: Bring BLAS into pkgsrc, pt. II

On 2019-07-23 13:32, J. Lewis Muir wrote:
On 07/23, Jason Bacon wrote:
For mk.conf, I think PKGSRC_BLAS_TYPES would be OK, as would

PKGSRC_BLAS (following examples PKGSRC_FORTRAN, PKGSRC_ADA, etc.)

or

PKGSRC_ACCEPTABLE_BLAS (following example PKGSRC_ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES)

I think the latter is better as it implies that this is a list, as does
PKGSRC_BLAS_TYPES.
The latter is PKGSRC_ACCEPTABLE_BLAS, and I don't see how it implies
that it's a list.  PKGSRC_ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES implies that it's a list
because LICENSES is plural.  But BLAS is not plural; to be plural, it
would need to be BLASES.

Regards,

Lewis
May be moot since Thomas prefers PKGSRC_ BLAS_TYPES, but to anyone familiar with what BLAS is, I think this would be pretty obvious. They would know that the primary choices are Netlib, Atlas, Goto, OpenBLAS, MKL, all of which are meant to be interchangeable and I can't think of another way someone with that knowledge would interpret it.  To other pkgsrc users, I agree that it would not be clear, but then they would not be creating packages that depend on BLAS or tweaking their mk.conf to select an implementation.

Cheers,

    JB