Re: Remove chat/xchat

On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 05:18:06PM +0000, maya%netbsd.org@localhost wrote:

 > > > https://blog.tingping.se/2018/03/02/when-distros-get-it-wrong.html
 > >
 > > this seems good to cite in the commit message. Just need an ok and to make
 > > sure everyone knows to use hexchat instead.

I think the question is: is hexchat different enough that people will
be reluctant to adopt it? If someone went to all the trouble cited to
bring it back in Debian it seems at least plausible that there's more
reason than hexchat being NIH. And because I'm always against deleting
things that are usable or fixable :-) I'd like to hear the other side
of that.

If anyone wants to keep an eye on syncing up Debian's patches we can
certainly afford to hang on to it if there's demand.

 > Personally I am strongly convinced, but people like to wait for
 > controversial changes. People get upset when they feel like they haven't
 > had time to disagree before changes were made.
 > Give a month for objections?
 >
 > Let kamil try out hexchat, for example.
 > Kamil, are you OK with it?

The proper thing to do is announce it on pkgsrc-users and wait until
after the next branch.

(Also when actually removing it be sure to put the "successor" bit in
CHANGES.)

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost