Re: cmake and MANDIR

* On 2018-10-08 at 15:17 BST, Greg Troxel wrote:

> I am working on packaging mosquitto (in wip), which uses cmake.  There
> is a patch to the CMakeLists.txt file to adjust MANDIR, and this works
> on NetBSD which puts man in $prefix/man/man1.  But on MacOS, it's
> $prefix/share/man/man1, and pkgsrc automatically and mysteriously
> changes the PLIST.
>
> With autoconf, there's a standard interface to control man location, and
> pkgsrc obviously uses it.
>
> Reading a bit about cmake, my impression is that people write cmake code
> for these things, and do it differently, and thus there is no standard
> way for pkgsrc to ask cmake-using programs to put man pages in the right
> place.
>
> So any given program might need a patch to CmakeLists.txt to make it
> respect an env variable, and then a env/arg line in the pkgsrc Makefile
> to pass in mandir.
>
> Can anyone explain how this is supposed to work?

According to the documentation CMAKE_INSTALL_MANDIR should be the
standard variable, similar to --mandir with automake.  We set this
when using cmake to ${PKGMANDIR} to get most things to install
correctly.

Some packages use their own variable for this though, in which case we
just have to work around them, and perhaps educate upstream about
trying to stick to the official variable.