How to bootstrap when sed and awk are unusable

I think I have asked a similar question before but:

Bootstrapping pkgsrc on Chrome OS is currently not working because the
native sed and awk are permanently in "sandbox mode", which removes
file creation and other things. Thus, the bootstrap should build nbsed
and nbawk as early as possible and use them.

Currently, the following happens:
Because the system has no diff and patch, diffutils is built as a tool
early in the bootstrap and fails with

--- langinfo.h ---
  GEN      langinfo.h
sed: -e expression #14, char 34: e/r/w commands disabled in sandbox mode
--- fcntl.h ---
sed: -e expression #15, char 34: e/r/w commands disabled in sandbox mode
*** [fcntl.h] Error code 1

Any hints for knobs? (Also, I am not sure if you can even build nbsed
and nbawk without a working patch?)

--
Benny