pkg-config and cached *.pc files under the work directory

I have been trying to understand why when building MesaLib with the llvm
and dri options it fails to find dri3proto yet finds dri2proto without
any problem. (as per thread in pkgsrc-users)

Both config files exist in /usr/X11R7/lib/pkgconfig and so I was baffled
why the configure script failed to find several packages.

A bit of grovelling in the internals of the package build process shows
that pkg-config actually uses a local copy of the package configuration
files in:

/usr/pkgsrc/graphics/MesaLib/work/.buildlink/lib/pkgconfig

and there is no surprise that this has an entry for dri2proto.pc, but
none for dri3proto.pc (and a few other required config files)!

The question is what guides the package install process in deciding
which files to copy into the above directory from the source files in
the base and elsewhere. The pkgsrc guide seems to be silent on this
area.

I can see there are some references to *.pc files in some of the .mk
files but it seems far from obvious what decides which files to copy in.
If I can manage to get the relevant pc files added in then I might stand
a fighting chance of moving forward...

Could a pkgsrc expert please enlighten me?

Cheers,
Dave

Phone: 07805784357
Open Source O/S: www.netbsd.org