Re: Structuring configuration file versioning support in pkgsrc

On Fri, 18 May 2018 01:51:07 +0200
Keivan Motavalli <keivan%motavalli.me@localhost> wrote:

> On Fri, 18 May 2018 01:31:19 +0200
> Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%bec.de@localhost> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 01:22:59AM +0200, Keivan Motavalli wrote:
> > > The path I'm working on is to have new vcs parameters in
> > > pkg_install.conf, have them parsed by pkg_add and passed to the
> > > INSTALL script when running VCS-PRE and VCS-POST phases, if
> > > needed.
> >
> > There should be absolutely no need to change pkg_install at all.
> > This should be done purely in pkgsrc/mk/pkginstall.
> >
> > Joerg
>
> I see. Should the pkginstall scripts parse themselves a new
> vcs-related configuration file?
>
> Which one should it be, and would this mean the configuration file
> path would get hardcoded at build time, even when mass building
> packages for use by third parties? Are there ways around this?
> How should the script obtain authentication parameters?
>
> Thanks

I'm already parsing (in pkg_add) an environment variable containing
authentication details, I see the environment should be preserved when
calling the INSTALL script, so I could also pass an alternative
configuration file path by reading the environment.

This way I'm going to lose the new vcs-pre and vcs-post targets of the
INSTALL script making things more messy I think, but it could work