Re: Can we make gfortran the default Fortran?

On Mon, Jan 01, 2018 at 07:45:33PM +0000, David Holland wrote:
> Also I have a feeling that on various vintage platforms bootstrapping
> to gcc5 will require multiple stages...

It won't require multiple stages, it will require multiple hours-days of
work to restore support that was removed entirely.

this all boils down to some people not believing gcc's libraries are
somewhat backwards compatible, at least to a sensible degree.

if we make this assumption we cannot use pkgsrc GCC at all,
because base libraries might also be linked to libgcc, and so a new gcc
comes with a new libgcc, which you claim is not backwards compatible.