Re: USE_PKGSRC_GCC_RUNTIME

* On 2017-10-09 at 18:49 BST, Edgar Fuß wrote:

> I don't understand what exactly USE_PKGSRC_GCC_RUNTIME is for.
>
> When I build my packages on NetBSD-6 using a pkgrsrc gcc 4.8, should I be
> setting USE_PKGSRC_GCC_RUNTIME=YES?
> I.e., if I don't, will I end up with binaries trying to use a runtime library
> not matching the compiler's expectations? If yes, what's the point in setting
> USE_PKGSRC_GCC_RUNTIME=NO?

It instructs pkgsrc to build packages against the gcc*-libs packages,
otherwise there is a full dependency on the main gcc* packages.  It's
basically an optimisation when delivering binary packages to users, as
they only need the smaller gcc*-libs packages to satisfy dependencies
on GCC libraries.

On SmartOS where we set this, it means users only need a 24MB
gcc49-libs package instead of a 339MB gcc49 package, cutting down our
image sizes considerably.