Re: OWN_DIRS semantics

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 08:27:54PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:

> Overall, I have a reaction that it's not good to change semantics
> because of using a different implementation.  Your notion of refcounting
> of MAKE_DIRS makes sense, but I wonder if it should be implemented in
> both frameworks, or if you are intending to have a quick replacement?

I'm going to change pkgtasks use approximately the semantics as
the existing pkginstall framework.  I agree it's not worth the
hassle.

I *will* make a change to unify MAKE_DIRS and OWN_DIRS and simply
let directories be reference-counted, with the directories either
removed if empty or warned about being non-empty when the
reference count reaches zero and the directory didn't exist
before the first reference count was added.  This should
eliminate bugs between packages claiming ownership of the same
directories.

Regards,
--
Johnny C. Lam