Re: clamav build failure, pcre, pcre2, foo-config considered harmful

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 11:08:43AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
 > I have been updating to pkgsrc HEAD and running pkg_rr, to look for and
 > fix issues, as usual.  Mostly this has been ok recently.
 >
 > A rebuild of clamav failed.  It turned out to be a combination of:
 >
 >   pcre and pcre2 are installed (because git uses pcre2)
 >
 >   clamav buildlinks pcre
 >
 >   pcre2 has /usr/pkg/bin/pcre2-config, despite having pkg-config and
 >   that everything should use pkg-config instead these days.
 >
 >   bl3 doesn't hide /usr/pkg/bin/
 >
 >   clamav's configure.ac looks for pcre2-config, finds it, and then fails
 >   to find the headers (because bl3 properly hid those)
 >
 > This won't hit bulk builds, because pcre2 won't be installed, but it
 > causes source builds to fail if pcre2 is installed.  With git requiring
 > pcre2, that's very likely.

This kind of thing happens a lot. Easiest solution most of the time is
to forcibly disable the offending package in the configure script,
either with --disable-foo/--without-foo or by setting
ac_whatnot_foo_bah variables.

But:

 >   3) Switch clamav to pcre2 (trivial, builds and works), avoiding the
 >   issue.

...this is presumably preferable.

--
David A. Holland