Re: building devel/bmake on case-insensitive filesystems

Brook Milligan <brook%nmsu.edu@localhost> wrote:

> I have long had trouble with devel/bmake not defining MAKE_VERSION on MacOS, and have finally figured out why.  Among the files in devel/bmake/files are the following:
>
> - Makefile: this defines MAKE_VERSION, which must be kept in sync with the version in devel/bmake/Makefile

I would assume  devel/bmake/Makefile could get the value from
devel/bmake/files/Makefile ?

> - makefile.in: this is converted to makefile by configure, and does not define MAKE_VERSION.

Yes, but the generated makefile should be in a different directory than
$srcdir where Makefile and make-bootstrap.sh.in are.

So the case insensitve fs should not matter?

> On a case-insenstivie filesystem, of course, Makefile and makefile are
> the same thing.  Consequently, configure overwrites Makefile with
> makefile (which does not define MAKE_VERSION), so make-bootstrap.sh
> injects an empty string for MAKE_VERSION into the bmake binary.

I haven't ever used devel/bmake but surely it builds in a separate work
dir ?

> As far as I can tell, neither Makefile nor makefile (from makefile.in)
> are used during the build process other than to extract MAKE_VERSION
> from the former.

makefile.in exists for those folk who refuse to read instructions and
demand that just

./configure
make

works

Makefile exists for those (like me) who just do bmake -f Makefile
to build next version.

> I see several possible solutions that will solve this problem:
>
> - Change configure (and configure.in) so that makefile is not created from makefile.in.  This leaves the original Makefile (with MAkE_VERSION) in place for make-bootstrap.sh to extract MAKE_VERSION.

The point of makefile.in is that if makefile is generated it takes
precedence over Makefile.
So the above would break more than it fixes.

First though how is generated makefile in the same directory as Makefile
when using pkgsrc ?