Re: man3 location for ocaml

On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 05:20:13PM +0000, Johnny C. Lam wrote:
 > I'm looking at the history of lang/ocaml and trying to understand
 > why the section 3 manpages for OCaml are being installed into
 > /usr/pkg/lib/ocaml/{share/man,man}/man3 and then symlinked into
 > /usr/pkg/{share/man,man}/man3.  That seems convoluted for no
 > beneficial reason.

ISTM that since they're pages about functions in a different language,
they're not in the same namespace as the rest of man3.

This is something that nothing has ever really handled very well
(thus e.g. tcl has its whole own directory "mann", but why "n"?)
and it would be nice to solve for real.

Maybe man3o or man3ocaml? The latter seems better; single-letter tags
don't scale.

Currently the gv package installs pages "gv.3lua", "gv.3perl", and
"gv.3tcl" in /usr/pkg/man/man3, and at least by default netbsd's
man(1) can only address the first one unless you do man -a.

... it also treats variant section names it knows about (like "3lua")
differently from ones it doesn't (like "3tcl"), which seems like a
problem: why doesn't it automatically discover which variant sections
exist?

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost