Re: Help with git/wip

On 28 July 2017 at 03:05, Roy Marples <roy%marples.name@localhost> wrote:
> On 27/07/2017 18:10, Andrew Cagney wrote:
>>
>> One of the first things I learnt about git was to not use 'git pull'
>> (this was when documentation consisted of being yelled at by linux
>> kernel engineers :-) it does too much.  I personally view 'git pull
>> -r' the same way as I view 'alias rm='rm -i''.
>>
>> Just erase "git pull" it from your command cache and use commands that
>> manipulate your repo in somewhat understandable ways:
>

> An alternative approach to this is just to create local branches for
> anything you work on - keep upstream pristime. branches are cheap in git and
> I find it easier to merge my branched local changes into master, esp if I
> find a machine with un-pushed commits to master.

Yes, that's the ultimate step. It adds 'branch', 'checkout' , 'merge'
to the git vocabulary.  I figure first get comfortable with the basics
- commit [<file> ...|-a?], fetch, status, rebase, push - and then hope
curiosity takes over :-)

You also, perhaps unintentionally, make a second good point; since
cloning is also considered cheap, when working on different things use
separate clones of upstream (don't try to have a single local repo
with lots of local branches).

D'Arcy, have another packet of safety razors.

Andrew