Re: pre-C++11 compilers

On Sat, Jul 01, 2017 at 09:32:02AM +0000, coypu%sdf.org@localhost wrote:
> Hi,
>
> currently things are pretty bad if you are using pkgsrc without a C++11
> compiler. I have attached a diff to make USE_LANGUAGES=c++11 imply
> GCC_REQD+=4.8 for the GCC case, which is probably the right thing as
> multiple GCC_REQD values behave correctly.
>
> What I don't understand is how -std=c++11 ends up being appended to
> packages like poppler and harfbuzz when they themselves do not have
> USE_LANGUAGES=c++11, so I don't think my change is helping.

If there is any main program in the mix that depends on a C++11 library,
but itself doesn't use it, this will create very funny and subtile
breakage. My objection to this change stands. I don't care about
erroring out explicitly when using an older GCC, but mixing compilers
like this is asking for a desaster and doesn't fit pkgsrc goals at all.

Joerg