Re: pkgsrc frozen for 2017Q2

Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%bec.de@localhost> writes:

> On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 10:23:41AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>>
>> It's not really that googletest is broken.  It's that the combination of
>>
>>   C++ not being a single stable language
>>   C++ not having a stable ABI
>>   people using old compilers
>>   how the mk/ framework is
>>   people not setting a global GCC_REQD
>>
>> is broken.  So it's not clear that googletest should be "fixed".
>
> Can you please stop with the C++ bashing? It is entirely inappropiate as
> the C++ standard is only indirectly involved here.

I'm just summarizing things things that are pretty straightforward and
you've been saying.  Specifically

  c++0x, c++11, and c++14 are different languages (or variants of the
  same)

  it's in general unsafe to mix compilers because of ABI differences

I see your additional point that it's unsafe to mix compilers because of
run-time library differences, and perhaps your point is that this is far
more important than ABI issues, to the point that ABI issues are a pink
herring.

But that's not really all that important in determining the way forward,
if we accept as the goal that all C++ programs in any build of pkgrsc
should be built with the same compiler.  Is that a fair summary of your
opinion about what ought to be?