Re: icu wants c++11

Thomas Klausner <tk%giga.or.at@localhost> writes:

> Since the last update, icu uses a C++11 feature (char16_t) in an
> installed header file.

It seems we need a plan soon, or to revert the icu update.   We're right
on the edge of it being reasonable for core things to depend on c++11,
but I'm not sure we are quite over the line.

> Some packages stopped compiling because of that, and since it's a
> property of a header installed by icu, I added "CXXFLAGS+=-std=c++11"
> to icu's bl3.mk file.

Does icu work with --std=c++14?

> However, that breaks other packages like musicpd (which wants C++14)
> or firefox:
>
> .../work/build/dist/include/nscore.h:145:9: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'typeof' with no type [-fpermissive]
>
> So basically, I need a setting that says "at least C++11 for
> everything that uses this".

I think we need to move on first-class support for c++ flavors.   It
could be that USE_LANGUAGES=c++11 in icu's bl3, and USE_LANGUAGES=c++14
in something else can lead to compiling in c++14 mode.

I think we are going to have to choose a compiler version per
OS/branch.  Perhaps that will only be hard on netbsd7, where 4.8 is
almost good enough.