[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Old Index]
Re: proposal: change default X11_TYPE on netbsd-6 to modular
On Tue, Apr 04, 2017 at 09:01:36AM +0200, Hauke Fath wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Apr 2017 20:17:09 -0500, Jason Bacon wrote:
> > What's the reasoning for maintaining two X11 collections?
> "Native" X11 is cross-buildable, pkgsrc X11 is not.
To expand on this, some differences between pkgsrc and netbsd base X11:
- netbsd X11 has very outdated MesaLib, since the transition to
requiring LLVM is painful.
- Not all supported platforms on NetBSD have LLVM support, or good
enough LLVM support. It can be disabled but...
- This may be a penalty for running radeon which is sometimes used also
on alpha and SPARC. alpha LLVM support is non-existent, and SPARC has
some bugs which may show up (netbsd/sparc kernels don't boot with
- pkgsrc packages often have perl as a required part of the build, and
perl's custom configure script needs to be run natively to work (I
haven't tested the theory that other parts of the build work if this
is done, but they claimed it)
People have made similar claims about other packages being troublesome.
- Nobody seems to be building packages for these platforms on a regular
basis right now, so it's codename for "no longer providing X on those
platforms" :-) it would be nice if it wasn't true in general, but it is.
- Our resident X11 expert mentions that he strongly prefers working on
code in netbsd than with pkgsrc patches.
- The version in pkgsrc is moving very rapidly. For example, netbsd-6
building Xorg will now need to first build GCC 4.8 (pkgsrc GCC only
works on x86 now) to build LLVM 4.0 (currently the build is
Bridging those is possible, but there is a lot of work to be done.
Particularly, "nobody building packages for a platform" is a big one.
There was some discussion that maybe we can switch just x86 to pkgsrc
Xorg (it hurts from the MesaLib situation), but this hasn't happened yet.
* should check if the penalty is real, i.e. lost support existed in the
first place ;)
Main Index |
Thread Index |