Re: Continuing refactoring of "pkgformat" out of pkgsrc

On Fri, Feb 03, 2017 at 08:48:37AM +0100, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 03, 2017 at 03:22:57AM +0000, Johnny C. Lam wrote:
> > Are there any active projects on continuing to refactor pkgsrc to hide the
> > the pkgformat?  We will need this to support other package formats.  If
> > there is already someone else work on this, I would like to contribute.  If
> > not, I will start working on this as I need this as a prerequesite for some
> > future pkgsrc enhancements.
>
> A second pkgformat is already supported in a fork, see
> https://github.com/jrmarino/pkgsrc-synth/tree/master/bootstrap/overlay
>
> The link points to the patches compared to pkgsrc, if you go to
> /tree/master you can directly test the modified pkgsrc tree.

This looks the most promising.  I have local changes to pkgsrc that touch
nearly the same set of files for the same reasons.  Seeing independent
changes will allow me to double-check the new abstractions I'm putting
in to allow using the native package tools on the platform, or in my case,
using a different set of package tools on NetBSD instead of pkg_install.

-- Johnny C. Lam