Re: zlib and builtin.mk on macOS

Benny Siegert <bsiegert%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> Compiling php-zip on a macOS Sierra system results in the following error:
>
> checking for the location of libz... /usr
> checking pcre install prefix... no
> checking libzip... no
> configure: error: Can not find zlib headers under "/usr"
>
> Which is true. There is no zlib.h under /usr/include, in fact, there
> is no /usr/include at all. If you ask clang about the location of the
> file, it is in the macOS SDK:
>
> /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.12.sdk/usr/include/zlib.h
>
> The library, however, is in /usr/lib.
>
> I don’t know if this is a failure of the php-zip Makefile, which uses
> BUILDLINK_PREFIX to find zlib, of the upstream php-zip configure, or
> of the builtin.mk itself.

I would say that looking for the headers in some prefix is wrong.
Instead, it should just try a test program that includes them and if it
builds, be happy.

(Not that I'm a fan of Apple's decision to "Make Others Gratuitously
Think Different" approach to putting system headers for native builds in
an odd place.)