Re: pkgsrc freeze for 2016Q4 starting on Dec 19

On 16 December 2016 at 10:13, Havard Eidnes <he%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:

> The problem in the past has been that picking a single version
> "that works on NetBSD" has been an impossible task.
>
> As long as we need to continue to support netbsd-6 as a pkgsrc
> platform (last I checked we still sort of do), we also need an older,
> buildable and working version of libreoffice for that code base.
>
> However, I also worry that other packages which libreoffice depends on
> (boost library?) has already been upgraded to a version which is not
> buildable with the C++ compiler we ship in netbsd-6, so piecing
> together an environment where you can in fact build one of those older
> libreoffice versions is going to require careful manual handholding.
>
> Switching away from the in-tree C++ compiler for netbsd-6 is no small
> task either (I've not tried to do this myself).

Would it work if everything in pkgsrc was switched to a newer c++ for netbsd-6?

It would be a pain to have to build a new gcc for any c++ package, but
if the trade off was being able to reliably build a lot more of pkgsrc
on older platforms then it might be worth considering in some cases...