Re: cwrappers now enabled by default on some platforms

* On 2016-10-28 at 06:50 BST, matthew sporleder wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 8:34 AM, Thomas Klausner <wiz%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 11:41:59AM +0100, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
> > > With this commit cwrappers are enabled by default (i.e. if the user
> > > does not specify USE_CWRAPPERS themselves) on Darwin, Linux, and
> > > SunOS/gcc.
> >
> > I've also enabled this on NetBSD.
> >
> > jperkin tells me that PKGSRC_MKPIE is not supported by cwrappers, so
> > if you like that feature, you'll have to turn off cwrappers for now
> > (or add support).
> >
> > Cheers,
> >  Thomas
>
> How do we get some results of bulk build times posted to the blog before
> and after this change?

I blogged about this 2 years ago when I first started using cwrappers,
along with a bunch of other pkgsrc performance stuff I was doing at
the time:

  https://www.perkin.org.uk/posts/building-packages-at-scale.html

tl;dr for me cwrappers reduced a bulk build from 12 hours to 5hr 20m.

Since then I've been able to do a full bulk build in under 3 hours
with further tweaks, and without cwrappers I certainly wouldn't be
able to get anywhere near that, as one of the key benefits for me with
a lot of parallel builds is the hugely reduced system time.