Re: The sad state of pkgsrc [was Re: pkgsrc NetBSD 7.0.1_PATCH/x86_64 2016-09-04 11:03]

On Wed, Sep 07, 2016 at 11:35:01PM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
 > > OK, for sdcc3, it fails for me too with a 2GB VA limit. It builds
 > > with a 3GB limit, and it doen't seem to use really use 3GB of RAM
 > > (I didn't see my system swapping or reclaiming that much memory
 > > from the file cache).  I'm not sure what could be done to fix
 > > this. Nor if limiting the VA to 2GB is a good idea :)
 >
 > Looking a bit further, it seems to be gplib that fails. That's
 > ridiculous -- a linker for a 16bit target trying to allocate more than
 > 2GB space. I wonder if there is a negative integer cast to unsigned
 > somewhere or so.

It's worse than that: gplib is ar. I have just looked inside it and
added some diagnostic stuff, but based on what I've found my guess is
that the compiler and/or gputils assembler is emitting an invalid
object file that causes gplib to to choke.

I also have a patch coming up to make the sdcc3 lib build not
blatantly ignore build errors.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost