Re: Multiple versions of PostGreSQL

On Tue, 9 Aug 2016 14:35:08 +0200
Tobias Nygren <tnn%NetBSD.org@localhost> wrote:
> I'm not a huge fan of the idea, but I do believe it would be possible
> and it is also in fact a requirement if we want to properly support
> upstream's recommended major upgrade mechanism, pg_upgrade(1):

That's the discussion on the PG list that led me to this request.

> pg_upgrade(1) needs to be pointed to the old and new bindir+datadir.
> Currently to use it one has to either bootstrap an entire alternate
> pkgsrc installation to host the previous major version, or manually
> unpack a pkgsrc binary package of the previous pg version outside
> of /usr/pkg and binpatch the RPATHs. Neither is a pretty solution.

Since I already build my packages in a chroot environment I already
have option 1 but multiple installs would be better for the general
user base.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost>
http://www.NetBSD.org/ IM:darcy%Vex.Net@localhost