Re: tex-*-doc packages

Mark Davies <mark%ecs.vuw.ac.nz@localhost> writes:

> I've been wondering about how we handle the texlive doc packages.
>
> Currently we do them as separate packages: for a tex-foo package
> we have a separate tex-foo-doc package to deal with the foo.doc
> tarball.
>
> I wonder if we should keep them as separate packages or role them into
> the base package (possibly with a variable to control inclusion).

I think that they should either

  stay as is

or

  have doc included with packages only, with no possibilit to exclude
  it.

Basically I view the existence of any particular option as a bug (but
the options framework I do not view that way), because options don't
work for binary packages.

I would ask:

  how much hassle is it to have doc packages

  how many users want the doc packages

  how many actively don't want docs

  what extra dependencies would be added to a typical install?  To a
  minimal use texlive install?

  how much space do the docs take?