Re: math/R failing to install

> On Jun 25, 2016, at 1:36 PM, Brook Milligan <brook%nmsu.edu@localhost> wrote:
>
> On Jun 25, 2016, at 12:45 PM, David Holland <dholland-pkgtech%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jun 25, 2016 at 10:26:43AM -0600, Brook Milligan wrote:
>>> /usr/pkg/lib/libxcb-shm.so.0.0.0:
>>> 	-lxcb.2 => /usr/X11R7/lib/libxcb.so.2
>>> 	-lXau.7 => /usr/X11R7/lib/libXau.so.7
>>> 	-lgcc_s.1 => /usr/lib/libgcc_s.so.1
>>> 	-lc.12 => /usr/lib/libc.so.12
>>> 	-lXdmcp.7 => /usr/X11R7/lib/libXdmcp.so.7
>>
>> So um... is there a reason you're mixing native and pkgsrc X? Some
>> combinations of that have been made to work in the past, but in
>> general it's a bad idea.

So the problem comes down to the behavior of graphics/cairo.  When the x11/libxcb and x11/xcb packages were installed, the cairo package picks them up and ends up linking to a chimera of libraries, some from /usr/X11R7/lib and some from /usr/pkg/lib.  As I reported before, the mismatches lead to undefined symbols and other packages (not just R) don’t compile.  However, with only /usr/pkg/libX11-xcb.* installed (presumably from x11/libX11), cairo resolves all of its dependencies with libraries from /usr/X11R7/lib.

This makes me wonder why cairo is picking up a mixture of libraries.  I thought that the pkgsrc build system, especially buildlink, was intended to avoid that so different builds would be repeatable.  Is there something to be done to cairo to make it repeatable, with or without the xcb libraries from pkgsrc?

Cheers,
Brook