Re: /var vs /usr/pkg/var

On Sat, 11 Jun 2016 01:30:29 +0200, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> After more consideration, my point is that I don't think the files
> that tex generates should be somewhere else than prefix.
>
> AFAIU, they contain caches for the installed files that live in
> ${PREFIX}. I heard of cases where people share ${PREFIX} across
> machines -- in that case the tex files should also be shared.

Quite. But in case you have machine-local *tex packages (say, under
/usr/local), the cache would go there, too, and doesn't, because it's
not writable; in addition, mktexlsr(1) will attempt to re-write the
system texmf caches, too.

With a look over the fence, Debian has

%  ls -l /usr/share/texmf/ls-R
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 29 Aug  1  2011 /usr/share/texmf/ls-R ->
/var/lib/texmf/ls-R-TEXMFMAIN
%

And on my radmind managed clients @work, I just run a post-update
script that runs mktexlsr(1) after any *tex file updates.

Does upstream have anything to say on this?

Cheerio,
hauke

--
Hauke Fath                        <hauke%Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE@localhost>