PREFIX and LOCALBASE

All,

the pkgsrc guide states in 17.2

"PREFIX always points to the location where the current pkg will be
installed. When referring to a pkg's own installation path, use
“${PREFIX}”.

LOCALBASE is where all non-X11 pkgs are installed. If you need to
construct a -I or -L argument to the compiler to find includes and
libraries installed by another non-X11 pkg, use “${LOCALBASE}”. The
name LOCALBASE stems from FreeBSD, which installed all packages in
/usr/local. As pkgsrc leaves /usr/local for the system administrator,
this variable is a misnomer."

pkglint. OTOH, states

[hf@Hochstuhl] /<3>editors/xemacs > pkglint | grep LOCALBASE
WARN: Makefile:56: The LOCALBASE variable should not be used by
packages.
WARN: Makefile:58: The LOCALBASE variable should not be used by
packages.
[hf@Hochstuhl] /<3>editors/xemacs >

When should I expect PREFIX to be different from LOCALBASE?

hauke

()     No HTML/RTF in email            Institut für Nachrichtentechnik
     Respect for open standards              Ruf +49-6151-16-21344