Re: Rewriting pkglint in a portable language

On Thu, 24 Mar 2016 08:37:01 -0400
Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> wrote:
> Java and python I agree with you, but those are hardly paragons of
> compatibiltiy virtue.  They are both examples of a language process
> where there is no language standard and the authors of the
> sole/dominant implementation think it's ok to change the language
> every major release, and users have to juggle which programs run on
> which versions.

Not to start a language war but that is totally unfair about Python.
Python bends over backwards to be backward compatible with previous
versions.  Even when they make a major change (e.g. 2.x => 3.x) they
allow for slow and careful upgrades.  Version 2.7 is going to be
supported till at least 2020 and many changes in 3.x will work in 2.7.
If there is an incompatible change you can still run new code under 2.7
by importing from the future.  It's a really clean upgrade path.

My short experience with Java suggests that you may be right there.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost>
http://www.NetBSD.org/ IM:darcy%Vex.Net@localhost