Re: using elfdump in check-shlibs

Le 11/03/16 07:17, Richard PALO a écrit :
> As part of the work relieving tools/tools.SunOS.mk of non native Gnu tools,
> I've been using lately elfdump in check-shlibs-elf.mk instead of solely greadelf.
>
> http://www.netbsd.org/~richard/elfdump-in-check-shlibs.diff
>
> I'm curious if there are platforms other than SunOS which may find this useful.
>
> With this patch, if TOOLS_PLATFORM.elfdump is defined, the it is preferred,
> else the previous defaults work as would be expected.
>
> Also, greadelf is no longer added to USE_TOOLS, which seemed to be arbitrarily
> ignored for various reasons.
>
> With recent binutils, greadelf is particularly long-winded (which may be a bug),
> so consequently this speeds things up a bit.
>
> would be nice to get this in prior to the freeze.

BTW, keeping the original, pessimistic approach to getting the valueset for
'RU?N?PATH' and 'NEEDED', this could potentially be greatly simplified by taking the
last value (NF) instead, trimming the brackets, if present, with greadelf on 'NEEDED'.

Also, greadelf's '-W' seems only useful for long section names on SunOS, making
no difference with regard to paths as used here... does it really make any difference
on other platforms? This could simplify things further.

--
Richard PALO