Re: Copying source code from libnbcompat vs. depending on it

On Tue, Feb 09, 2016 at 11:11:10AM -0600, J. Lewis Muir wrote:
  | Hello, All!
  |
  | (I previously asked a similar question on the pkgsrc-users list, but
  | I didn't hear from anyone, so I'm trying tech-pkg now hoping it's the
  | right list.)
  |
  | I'd like to understand the rationale behind including a private copy of
  | standard functions (e.g. vasprintf) in a package rather than using ones
  | provided by pkgtools/libnbcompat (i.e. libnbcompat.a).  Why do net/tnftp
  | and presumably other packages consider a private copy to be better?
  |
  | Is it in the interest of portability and minimal dependencies?  If I
  | understand correctly, I think Alistair Crooks suggested this as his
  | feeling in [1] where he said the following:
  |
  |   "I do not want to have to distribute libnbcompat with any code I
  |   write.  I also find requiring it to be present, just to compile stuff
  |   that I write, to be too onerous."
  |
  | A downside is ending up with duplicate code, but maybe it's really
  | likely that the code is bug-free and unlikely to change, so it's fine.
  |
  | I'd really appreciate hearing thoughts on this.
  |
  | Thank you!
  |
  | Lewis
  |
  | [1] https://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-userlevel/2015/11/02/msg009417.html

The tnftp in pkgsrc is a "downstream" copy, rather than the main
repository (which is currently another NetBSD.org CVS repository).

As far as I understand it, net/tnftp package contains the
full source (as opposed to the standard pkgsrc layout)
to permit easier bootstrapping of pkgsrc itself.

I'd rather not have backport a dependency on nbcompat into
the upstream tnftp.

regards,
Luke.