Re: DESTDIR-enabled bootstrap + disabling USE_DESTDIR=no

Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> writes:

> On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 11:04:40PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
>>
>> Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> writes:
>>
>> > attached is a patch that switches bootstrap to use the normal
>> > USE_DESTDIR=yes handling. It also bails out explicitly when later using
>> > USE_DESTDIR=no. This is the last step before cleaning out the
>> > infrastructure.
>>
>> That sounds like a reasonable next step.  It seems too close to the
>> branch to commit now; but immediately post freeze there would be plenty
>> of time to fix any resulting issues - I'm not sure what you are
>> proposing, or how many platforms you tested on.
>
> That sounds like an excuse. It is reasonable well contained and now is
> actually the best time to get people to try bootstrapping.

You didn't list the platforms that you have tested this on.

We have a norm (stronger the last few branches) of not having changes
just pre-branch that risk widespread breakage, for some corresponding
values of risk and widespread.  Basically I think people should not be
expected to encounter untested (on any particular platform)
infrastructure code in the few days before and during the freeze.  I
don't mean to say that I think there's anything wrong with what you've
done; I'm suspicious of all changes, and this one is not limited to a
few packages.

I am curious what others think about this.