Re: Mac OS X: deprecating 10.7 and 10.8

* On 2015-11-06 at 15:52 GMT, Greg Troxel wrote:

> I'd like to move Mac OS X 10.7 and 10.8 from SUPPORTED to DEPRECATED.
> It seems that still being on 10.9 is respectable, but I think older
> versions aren't getting security updates.
>
> (I just updated bootstrap/README.MacOSX, but avoided policy changes.)
>
> Objections/comments?

Personally I don't see why we have this at all.  We've always tried in
pkgsrc to support as many systems as possible, unless the support for
those systems is actively harmful and/or preventing reasonable
development from taking place.

I'm not aware of any such situations at present, and I continue to
produce binaries for the DEPRECATED 10.6/i386 with no problems (in
some cases better than the SUPPORTED 10.9/x86_64).

I don't see why README.MacOSX is special compared to all the other OS
we support, and would prefer we just take things on a case-by-case
basis rather than writing hard and fast rules.

I would just delete that whole section, but as it seems primarily to
be about how PRs will handled my opinion should probably carry much
less weight than the folks who are actually handling them.