Re: First go at adding GCC_VERSIONS_ACCEPTED support

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 09:08:17AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>   2) how to deal with mixed compilers and libs.  If there's a c++
>   library, and it doesn't need C++11, and then a C++ porgram does and
>   links to the library, is that sound?  What about the other way around?

How does this sound:

* we define, per operating system/version, a default c++ compiler,
  let's say gcc-4.9 (or whatever we think is the best version on that
  platform). this version is pulled in whenever c++ is defined in
  USE_LANGUAGES. It should support c++11.

* the user can override this default globally, before compiling packages

 Thomas