Re: PostgreSQL support

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 19:32:57 +0200
Marc Balmer <marc%msys.ch@localhost> wrote:

> > Am 10.10.2015 um 19:29 schrieb Aleksej Saushev <asau%inbox.ru@localhost>:
> >
> > Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> writes:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >> given that PostgreSQL 9.0 has just reached EOL state, I'd like to cut
> >> down on the in-tree versions a bit and:
> >>
> >> (1) Remove 8.4 and 9.0, both are EOLed.
> >
> > I object this.
>
> I object your objection.  EOLed PostgreSQL versions don't receive any security fixes anymore and updating to a supported release is super-easy.
>
> EOLed PostgreSQL versions _have_ to be removed.

I know of still existing 8.2 production deployments with database sizes
in excess of 200GB and plenty of stored produces & java application code
that depend on 8.x behaviour. It is not always super-easy to update.
But that does not mean we have to support it in pkgsrc proper when even
upstream drops support.

Maybe we could have some kind of separate add-on repository (similar to
pkgsrc-wip) where historical versions and encumbered software can be
maintained when users object to package removals?

-Tobias