Re: Adding SHA-512 to the list of digests

Oh, nice, thanks! My problem with blake2 has always been that (with no
disrespect to Zooko and co) the much-vaunted speed is achieved by the
use of assembly; your portable C versions are nice for the
cross-platform aspect of pkgsrc, thanks. (I also have versions of
these in C in multigest, but my problem has always been that I
couldn't find reference vectors for them).

WRT reducing CPU cycles - I'm not paranoid to think that pkgsrc is a
primary target for anyone wanting to spend $100K on a GPU farm, and
calculation of digests is fairly insignificant in the face of the
shell gyrations that GNU configure goes through, but long-term I think
we should be getting rid of SHA1 and RMD160, and moving to SHA3-512
and SHA-512.

Yes, I'd like to have used sha3 instead of sha512 right now, but
they're not in (the program) digest, yet, and I think it would
probably take us at least a quarter to move to a new digest version -
so we should look to the end goal being sha512 and sha3-512, and look
to have everything in that form by 2016Q2. At the same time, we should
look at making digest into a library and a calling program - the
library would be useful to have for scripting languages and so many
other tools. Things have moved on from when digest was first written
:).